I know it sounds weird, but my mother used to embed a hard-boiled egg in the middle of hers. Wish I had her recipe.
I found this one…and it was good…but here is my adaptation:
Ingredients for the meatloaf
1 1/2 pounds ground beef. Get lean…it matters.
1 onion, chopped
1 cup milk
1 cup bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the glaze/topping
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1/3 cup ketchup
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
(1) Make the topping in a small bowl
Combine the brown sugar, mustard and ketchup.
(2) Make the meatloaf in a big bowl
- Combine theses
– bread crumbs
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Place in a lightly greased 5×9 inch loaf pan
OR form into a loaf and place in a lightly greased 9×13 inch baking dish.
(3) Pour the topping over the meatloaf
Tip: you may wind up with extra. No need to overdo it.
(4) Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour